Sunday, April 26, 2009

"Botte" in Vishnitz


Vishnitzer Chassidim in Bnei Brak

B"H

Almost subject number one in Israeli haredi forums is the Chatzer of Rabbi Israel Hager in Bnei Brak. True or not, there are claims that more and more Vishnitzer Chassidim run over to Rabbi Israel's brother and competitor, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Hager. People state that, so far, approx. 30 Bnei Braker Chassidim changed sides and this seems to be more interesting than the Botte last Erev Shabbat.

At about 11pm, I went to the Tish of the Vishnitzer Rebbe Israel Hager and thought that I would be too late. Too late always means no more space at the Ezrat Nashim (wome's side) or, for sure, no view at the men's section. Already in the surroundding streets near Malchei Israel in Ge'ulah (Jerusalem), plenty of Chassidim were on the move. Almost entirely men and I already had my doubts if there would be a women's section at all.

The Tish (Botte) took place right across the Ruzhin - Boyan Synagogue and I saw a gate where countless Chassidim with their Streimels entered. A woman showed me the sign with an arrow leading to the Ezrat Nashim on the other side of the building. It turned out that the men were outside underneath a blue tent roof whereas the women were standing inside behind the windows watching the Chassidim.

The Ezrat Nashim was a narrow alleyway and most places at the windows were, of course, taken. Right at the beginning I stood on some steps leading down the alleyway and from there I had an amazing view. Hundreds of Chassidim, mostly wearing black coats and white sox, were standing downstairs on their metal benches. A large table (Tish) was placed in the middle were the elderly rabbis sat. Behind were two groups of white plastic chairs and all the rest tried to climb up the metal benches. This wasn't that easy anymore, as it was packed and every time, a Chassid tried to squeeze in, the whole row was moving back and forth.
Some youngsters shipped in a table in order to stand on it and see something. As soon as they put down the table, other Chassidim had jumped up already. A boy brought in a chair, placed it on the table and stood on it. A elderly Chassid stood on the middle table and yelled at everyone to move.

A rock star concert is nothing compared to a Tish of a chassidic rebbe of a large chassidic group. I don't know the Hagers but last Friday night, Rebbe Israel seemed to be the superstar. He, on the other hand, walked in late; at about 11.20pm. In the meantime, another Vishnitzer woman was seriously trying to steal my great place. First, she was squeezing her daughters Gitty and Liby into our row and then she crawled in herself. Another woman behind me just leaned onto my back and I had to bend down even more. I am tall and the windows were low. Gitty was standing on my foot and her mother's wig (Sheitel) was right in my face. When the Rebbe walked in, Gitty's mother got really excited and I saw nothing but a wig.

Rebbe Israel took his seat right below us. He banged his left hand on the table and the Chassidim started their Niggunim (songs).
Many times People had told me about the great Vishnitzer songs but what I heard that night didn't push me off the ground. How could that happen anyway with Gitty standing on my foot ?

I only stayed for the first 30 minutes and then left. I desperately needed to stretch my bones because more and more women leaned against me or pushed. The guys downstairs were even more squeezed in and outside I saw more and more Chassidim just arriving.

However, I have to say that seeing all this hundreds of Chassidim from upstairs was an unbelievable feeling. Overwhelming ! No one can say that there is no spirituality. Besides the pushing and my flat foot.

I promised myself to rather see the Vishnitzer Rebbes in Bnei Brak. I heard that especially Rebbe Israel has a huge Synagogue with two floors of Ezrat Nashim. Hopefully there will be more space and no Sheitel in my face.


Sitting: Rebbe Moshe Yehoshua Hager and his son Rabbi Israel (standing left).

No comments:

Post a Comment