Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Enjoying to be "Normal"

B"H

Spending the Sukkot holidays mostly in Mea Shearim, was a little too much for me, and now I am taking some time off from the chassidic society. I am having some vacations from the real chassidic world but it does not keep me away from reading professional literature on the subject.

Within the past few weeks, I have just faced too many Mechitzot, restrictions and especially chassidic women who just do whatever society is asking them to do. I was surprised that the women do it without any complaints. Or at least, it seems like they do it without complaining, as about those cases we hardly hear.

On Erev Simchat Torah, I went to the Toldot Aharon synagogue and outside was a huge parking lot for baby carriages. At least 30 carriages were "parked" there. This made it very clear to me that within society is almost only one goal: getting married and having children.

Of course, you can claim, that these two things are everything in the religious Jewish world. However, I sometimes ask myself if this is it. Getting married and having children.

Maybe it is but how, on the other hand, can those women allow the Edah HaCharedit to restrict their world more and more. The unnecessary separation of Mea Shearim Street on Chol HaMoed Sukkot, for instance. Furthermore, the Edah made a new decree about the so called "modest skirt". By the way, the decree was also signed by the chief rabbi of Bnei Brak, Rabbi Nissim Karelitz, and Rabbi Wosner.

The modest skirt has to have a certain width and, of course, a special heights, and no one should recognize the form of the body because of a tight skirt.

Another decree was, and I do not know if this was made up by the Edah or only Toldot Aharon, that women are forbidden to leave their homes only dressed in a Chaluk (house suit). Not even for just going to the store around the corner to buy bread.

The reason is that the Chaluk mostly consists of many colours which might cause the attention of males. This kind of behaviour was called "Haredi Prostitution" on special posters in Mea Shearim Street.

I do not understand where exactly the prostitution is but I am keeping away from the area. At least for the time being. I am just not the society - pressure - person.

1 comment:

  1. They are the same as the ayatollahs.

    In answer to your question about whether the goal is just to get married and have children..that's naive - there's also cooking, cleaning and washing to be done!

    ReplyDelete