Wednesday, June 13, 2007

On the Path of the Avot

B"H

In Israel, the chassidic group Toldot Aharon is famous for its strict ideology. The daily life of the members is ruled by "Takanot" which were established by the founder, Rebbe Aharon Roth. To some people, those extremely strict Takanot, such as not owning a radio or ask the Rebbe for permission if someone intends leaving town for a few days, might sound rather strange or exaggerated. However, their goal was and is keeping the youth on the path of the Avot (forefathers) and not letting them search for new ways of life. The Toldot Aharon split - offs, Toldot Avraham Yitzchak and Shomrei Emunim, have the same policy.

In our society today, people do search for new ways of life all the time. Sometimes they are so busy searching that they already forgot what they are searching for. Although we might be religious and keep Mitzwot, we are definitely influenced by other ideas. Especially materialism is one of the biggest problems today. National religious, haredi, chassidic, it does not really matter what I am, I have to have the new car, computer, apartment etc. Every Thursday when the new edition of a certain Jerusalem haredi paper is handed out, I realize what is going on. The first page male haredi readers open is the page with the car sales.

Another very important law for Toldot Aharon members is not showing off or being too proud of Torah knowledge. I could not believe it until I saw it myself. All people I met so far are humble whereas in other religious societies rabbis or yeshiva students do not even bother talking to ordinary people without too much knowledge.

Is life according to Takanot the only way of life in order to be on the path of the Avot ? Have other Jewish orthodox societies failed because their members got adjusted to materialism or a life outside Torah ? Can there be a life outside Torah while still keeping Mitzwot ? Who says that I cannot go enjoying a movie but still be a religious person ? I have no clue about what our foremothers or forefathers would have thought about us. It appears to me that they knew how to deal with the outside world but still kept their religion. The only thing is not to let strange influences rule over your entire life. Everyone has to find the best way for himself.

Although I really admire chassidic life, I could not just go into one direction. I enjoy going to Chassidim but, on the other hand, I also enjoy going to a cafe or a movie. I am not really here or there and I do like having a change. Being only on one side would make me depressed and this is what Judaism should not cause anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment