Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It's Tea Time

B"H

Just recently, someone told me the "secrets" about how especially chassidic Rebbes raise money in the UK, Canada or the US. Maybe not only chassidic Rebbes but other Rabbis as well. But let's stick to Chassidut, as particularly here, I find it very interesting.

Let's say that a chassidic Rebbe is coming to New York in order to raise funds for his group. What do his followers or donors usually do ? And does the Rebbe just walk from one rich person to the next in order to wait for a check ?

It is very common to arrange an event called "Tea Party".
The tea party is taking place in a private house and tickets for the event are being sold for, let's say, 10.000 Dollar each.
Of course, those tea parties abroad are much more open and relaxed than in Israel. The Rebbe might (I emphazise: "might") even talk to the women or one woman. Well, probably if she turns out to be a wealthy donor.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look as if I am ever going to participate in such a tea party, as my budget won't allow me a cup of tea for 10.000 Dollar.

Are there maybe any special offer tickets available ?

No comments:

Post a Comment