Sunday, November 9, 2008

Shabbat in Tel Aviv


Tel Aviv (in the background) and Yaffo in the front.


B"H

There was hardly anything worse for me than getting on the bus to Jerusalem this morning. However, I have to work in the evening and things to arrange during the day. The positive side is that I am going back to Tel Aviv on the first bus tomorrow morning.

As you realize, I love it in Tel Aviv and I have to admit that I really enjoyed my Shabbat there. Of course, a Tel Aviv Shabbat is not a Jerusalem one and you should make arrangements beforehand. But who cares ?
I went to a Chabad Synagogue where I already know some people. Friday night (Erev Shabbat) I went to sleep early but happy.
For lunch I was with a friend in one of the worst secular areas in Tel Aviv. She lives in Sheinkin Street and we had lunch with her flatmates. The weather was great and we were sitting outside on the balcony.

Afterwards I went to the beach and even made it over to Yaffo. The promenade to the old town of Yaffo is brand new and it is just terrific to walk along the Mediterranean. Hundreds of people had the same idea and it was quite crowded. First I thought about going, as I don't know if there is an Eruv between Tel Aviv and Yaffo. However, I saw many religious people walking and sitting on the promenade benches as well, so I did the same.
Old Yaffo is beautiful and I ended up in a park with plenty of Egyptians excavations. Let alone a fantastic view over the sea. And then I knew what I had missed so much: being outside and just enjoying nature.

For too long, I have been stuck in Jerusalem. With the religious, Mitzwot and all the Halachot. Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against Halachot or anything; however, yesterday I felt that too many religious Jews concentrate on all the laws, Shabbat, take a rest, Se'udat Shlishit (third meal), etc. There is no real time to enjoy or think about yourself, about life. Just run and fulfill the laws. Eat you chicken soup and your Cholent and light the Havdalah candle. Too many religious Jews seem to have forgotten to enjoy G - d's creation. Sit at the beach, look at the sea, just walk along the streets, or in other words: enjoy being alive.

No, I didn't miss Jerusalem and all the long faces from people with all their worries. Worry here and there but without any solution in the end. It is worth taking some time off; only from oneself. Find back to the pleasure G - d wants us to have in this world. It doesn't mean to abandon religion but it does mean to find you inner meaning in this world.

In the evening after Shabbat, I did what almost 100.000 other people did as well: I went to the Yitzchak Rabin Memorial event on Kikar Rabin.

However, I am soon publishing a separate article about my experiences there.

2 comments: