Thursday, February 28, 2008

Cake and Chuppah

B"H

First I thought I would be far too early but the more I walked towards the Toldot Aharon synagogue, the more I knew that I was just on time. The Toldot Aharon members were dressed up yesterday evening and I saw them walking eagerly to their synagogue.
The great wedding of the Rebbes grandson Eliezer and the Kallah Sarah was coming up and especially for the Toldot Aharon women, this is also a social event. An occasion for meeting friends.

I apologize for not describing the male point of view too much, as I only saw what was going on at the women's side. However, people told me that the guys had a great dancing.

As I said, I was just on time and arrived when the women's hall was opened. For anyone familiar with their facilities: The synagogue has a women's dining room / hall on the right side of the alleyway leading into the backyard and to another women's entrance to the synagogue. I found many women lined up already. Toldot Aharon members as well as women from other chassidic groups, a few sephardi women and very few national religious. The language was Yiddish. And I started off in Yiddish asking two women about the schedule. I was told that I am in the right place. "Just walk in", they told me.

It was easier to get in than coming out. The hall turned out to be a big room with long tables on both sides of the wall. Left and right were cakes and drinks places on the tables. If you now think that everybody just ran up to the cakes, you are wrong. Everyone jumped into the front part or on the little benches in the middle. The bride Sarah was seated in the very front and anyone was free to shake her hand and say "MAZAL TOV". This was the main goal of most wedding guests. The teenage girls preferred standing at the side or in the back on the highest benches. I cannot describe enough how all the eyes of the teenage girls were shining. In this moment, every single one of them imagined her owned wedding with the prince riding on a white horse to pick her up.

Finally I also found a place on one of the benches and had a great view onto the stage in the front. I was surprised how great the Kallah looked. She seems to be a very nice girl, rather American looking. Later I was told that this isn't the case. She is totally Israeli.

A Toldot Aharon woman next to me explained me the background. The bride is the granddaughter of Rabbi Moshe Halberstam who was a famous member of the Edah HaCharedit and died in 2006.
In the meantime, the bride was busy shaking hands. She was extremely nervous and stopped hand shaking after a while. She could hardly sit still and eventually her mother took over the greeting job. I thought about lining up but saw that the the bride is getting a little fed up and when I looked at the long line, I wasn't in the mood anymore. Instead I took a piece of cake and another woman informed me about what is going to happen now.

Suddenly I heard a voice behind me introducing someone as an academic student. If this was THE academic student I am thinking of then I have to tell her that I was impressed that she finally showed up. I hope that you learned something and hopefully start using your connections in a positive way. Ph.D. yes, but be honest with the group members, as they don't deserve any betrayal behind their backs.

A Mechitzah was set up and the groom marched in to greet the bride. His name is Eliezer and he looked rather shy.
I don't know how many times bride and groom have met before the wedding. Generally they only meet a few times and for me it is very hard to imagine, getting married to someone I've only spoken to a few times. A person I don't know at all. However, if you grow up in such a society and you have been raised all your live with the goal to get married, you look at it from a very different point of view.

After the greeting, both walked out to the Chuppah.
A woman told me to run out as fast as I can. This remark came too late, as everybody had the same idea. The women just ran towards the exit.

The Chuppah was set up outside in the backyard. Right in front of the men's entrance into the synagogue. They had a great Chazan singing and we were able to hear everything due to the microphones. There were hundreds of women running through the alleyway towards the back of the building. I followed and placed myself almost next to the Chuppah which turned out to be on a stage. Thus, everyone was able to see the whole ceremony.

Even with the Mechitzah in the middle, we had enough space to stand. Many women chose standing behind the windows inside the synagogue but had to turn off the lights, as there faces could be seen from the outside.

First the Chatan Eliezer showed up. His grandfather, Rebbe David Kahn, accompanied him to the Chuppah. Later the bride Sarah followed. For her it was hard because her face was covered by a veil and she could hardly see a thing. The Rebbitzen of Toldot Aharon and her mother led her when she encircled the groom.
The ceremony itself was rather short. The Ketubah was read out via microphone. Don't ask me what the sum was. Sometimes the Yiddish was too fast for me. But you can be sure that there is plenty of money involved.

I really enjoyed myself and spoke to some further women about different chassidic dynasties. After the celebration was over, it took me about twenty minutes to leave. We were all squeezed in and could hardly move. I had almost succeeded in leaving the complex when someone pulled my arm. It was one of the group members I know and she asked me if I had enjoyed it. We spoke for a while and I went on to my regular talmudic class on Wednesday.

Most women went home anyway and it was exciting seeing the nearby streets only full of Toldot Aharon members.

It was a great wedding and I am really impressed. Mazal Tov to Sarah and Eliezer and I wish them all the best.

Nevertheless, many events are also going on in other chassidic groups. For instance, next week there will be a great event in Chassidut Belz taking place and if I can make it, I will participate.

This Shabbat however, I will stay with the Toldot Aharon for another Shabbat Chatan. But as their women don't go to the synagogue on Erev Shabbat, I might jump over to Karlin - Stolin. Seeing something else is important to me and it is very important talking and being in touch with other chassidic groups as well.

2 comments:

  1. for your information the ketuba or as they say it kisiba is in aramaic not yiddish

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    I am telling you, whatever they read, it all sounded like Yiddish. Due to their accent.

    But I admit. I never paid too much attention in listening in therefore didn't know that it was in Aramaic.

    ReplyDelete