Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Meeting a Monk

B"H

Believe it or not, a few days ago I had a meeting with a real monk. The first on ever in my life.

He had sent me an e - mail regarding my religious blog in German. There are hardly any possibilities in Germany talking to religious Jews and even if, the communities have other problems than answering questions of monks.

He wrote me that he is volunteering in Jerusalem at the moment, and if we could meet because he would like to ask me some questions about Judaism. And by the way, he his not one of those fanatic missionaries.

I agreed and we met in a certain cafe downtown Jerusalem. While I was sitting there waiting for him, my only hope was that he doesn't show up in his monk uniform. What would people who know me say ?
I am meeting a monk ?

When he finally showed up, he looked like a "normal" person. Wearing a regular suit with just a tiny little golden cross on his collar. Well, I could live with that.

Actually he turned out to be quite nice and normal. As he is German, he was so organized. He pulled out a little card where he had prepared and written down many questions. And he always thanked me for meeting him, as no one else of the Orthodox world would have agreed. The moment they see a monk, they fear that he only wants to missionize. I wasn't afraid of that, as I always have special responses to such topics.

The monk started asking me interesting questions. For instance about the history of prayers, what a Haredi is and why there are so many different groups in chassidic society.
To me it was very interesting listening to his questions because his opinion also reflects the one of other readers. Thus, I am able to find out what I have to write about, explain better and what interests people. Fact is, that many Gentiles also read my German blog. Unfortunately, more than German Jews. But each of us knows the German Jewish reform history which is also very sad. Nevertheless, there are some interested reform Jews and this is already something.

For more than two hours I was talking to the monk. I found out that he lacked lots of knowledge about Jewish history concerning the Middle Ages. He had no idea that in Paris and other places, Talmud editions were burned by the Catholic Church. He also had never heard about the Hashmatot, a collection of talmudic passages taken out of the Talmud due to church threats.

O course, he doesn't want to convert to Judaism now, but he simply showed some interest. "Looking at all the religious Jews with their Tallitot and Kipot would bring him closer to Mr. J's own history".
When I mentioned the disgusting Christian missionary tactics or missionaries in at all, he claimed that there has to be such a thing, as Mr. J. commanded so in the NT.

Whatever his opinions were, it was nice talking to him and last night I took him to a Rabbi Machlis Shiur. The Rabbi even invited him to a wedding next week. Today the monk sent me an e - mail thanking me for everything and he really enjoys seeing something original Jewish. He liked the Rabbi and his family and is very grateful getting the opportunity to go to a Jewish wedding.

I only wish that all Christians (including the missionaries) could be like this.

3 comments:

  1. of coarse
    he tells you he does not want to misionize you but the information that you give him can show other jews that he knows something about the jews in order to intice them all i'm saying is BE CAREFULL

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    I am very well aware of it.
    It is funny but when you talk to such people on a simple basis, they don't really understand the concept.

    As Kabbalah / Chassidut explains: They just don't have a Jewish Neshama and no Nizotz at all.

    His knowledge is very basic and I wouldn't tell him details I know. I wouldn't even publish them on the Internet. But even if, such people just don't get it.

    However, you are right:
    If he spoke to Jews without much knowledge, there is a danger that they might be impressed.
    So far, not with the knowledge and understanding he has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B"H

    The more I hear about how Catholics explain the Mishkan and everything, the more I realize that Christianity is a weird illogical religion. t sounds more like a cult where everyone just brings in his personal crazy ideas.
    These are the moments when you are really proud to be a Jew.

    ReplyDelete