Sunday, March 2, 2008

Haya Sameach - היה שמח

B"H

"Haya Sameach" is Israeli slang and the translation is something ironic like "it wasn't boring".

It was a sunny warm Shabbat and many people who usually don't go out too much during the cold rainy winter changed their minds.
Last Friday night, Mea Shearim was packed. I didn't see any tourist buses, as it was Shabbat but it seemed like a few buses had come in and sent out all the Israeli visitors.

This time, I took a friend and we first went for Maariv (evening prayer) to the Karlin - Stolin Synagogue. As expected, only a few women were there but easily about 200 men. And as expected, the prayer service was full of Kavanah (concentration). From far away you can hear the Karliner prayers.

Afterwards we went to Ma'alot Dafna Rabbi Mordechai Machlis for Shabbat dinner. Later on, we returned to Mea Shearim and had a look at the Sheva Berachot at Toldot Aharon. As soon as there are Sheva Berachot, Toldot Aharon is packed; Ezrat Nashim, downstairs in the men's section. Packed and you can hardly move let alone see anything.

Unfortunately, only one of the two rooms of the Ezrat Nashim was available. As far as I heard, the second room was locked because it was only reserved for the bride's family. The result was that all the women were squeezed into one room and you cannot imagine what was going on there. The metal benches were shaking as soon as someone started climbing up. There was simply no chance seeing anything.

My friend and me stood at the side next to the benches and were able to have a glimpse. Rebbe David Kahn was sitting in the middle of the front table. To his right was the groom and to his left was the Rebbe's younger brother. It looked like all the Toldot Aharon Chassidim from Beit Shemesh had arrived as well. The Tish was packed and other male visitors from the outside had hardly space. However, there were some litvishe and national religious.

A whole group of national religious girls stormed into the Ezrat Nashim. They spread and took over everything. When those Israeli national religious come in, no Toldot Aharon woman can escape her destiny. The girls are Chutzpaniot and are not ashamed to ask the weirdest questions. Many Toldot Aharon women, especially the younger ones, find this rather amusing and answer.
The "Rabbi Kook fans" spread and we just escaped to the Avraham Yitzchak Synagogue. No Tish took place there and I suppose that Rebbe Shmuel Yaakov Kahn might have spend the Shabbat in Beit Shemesh.

What else is in the area ? Right, the Slonim.

So, we went to the Slonim and were able to move. Obviously they are not so famous among Mea Shearim visitors and the Ezrat Nashim was half empty.

I find it rather strange that the Slonim women hardly show up for their own Tish. The people you meet there are mostly from the outside or other groups. To me it is always a big change coming from the Toldot Aharon or Karlin and looking at the black coats again. Like Gur or Belz, the Slonim only wear black on Shabbat.
I have to admit that I do not like their Niggunim too much. They always sound the same. Just like an army melody. I cannot help it but Belz has the best Niggunim.

However, Rebbe Shmuel Brozovsky's Slonim Tish doesn't last for too long. 2 - 3 hours. He only makes Kiddush but doesn't have a meal. The Slonim emphasize on Niggunim and then they are done. And they were half done when we came. It was nice but short and we decided to return to Toldot Aharon. I was tired and didn't feel like walking down to Kretchnif or Dushinsky. We even forgot to check out if there was anything going on at the Shomrei Emunim.

Our second try at Toldot Aharon was much more successful. We entered and the national religious had enough and walked out. "Lot's of space", we thought but now the Ezrat Nashim was full of Toldot Aharon women. However, while we were standing at the side again, a group member pulled us up onto the metal benches. Finally we had a great view. Rebbe David Kahn was in a real swinging mood and the female group members were also in an extraordinary mood. Probably still enthusiastic about the great wedding last Wednesday. You could ask anything and got an answer. The national religious really had a lucky day and left with lots of information to think about.

Other visitors at the Ezrat Nashim: Satmar and Dushinsky women.

The next morning I got up early and went for Shacharit (morning prayer) to Toldot Aharon. Another Shabbat Chatan should take place. I walked in and saw that the second room still locked. The weather was great and I simply didn't feel like sitting in a room with a hundred women. No fresh air and especially no sunshine. I decided that this was it and walked to the Kotel (Western Wall) where I joined the prayer service of Rabbi Mordechai Machlis. The Rabbi is just great; inviting people to his home every single Shabbat and making a great Kiddush for anyone in front of the Kotel.

I was glad I didn't stay in Mea Shearim for Shacharit. After leaving Toldot Aharon, I thought about going to Breslov or Stropkov. But honestly, I saw the sunshine and I felt like I needed a break from everything. Just be outside and enjoy nature.
The Breslovers would say: "Enjoy G - d's Creation and get some Hitbodedut done".

I am not with any particular group and I am quite happy about that. But sometimes I do feel too attached to Toldot Aharon and I want to give me and them a break. Otherwise they might just hand me an application form and pull me right in.

4 comments:

  1. I will tell you something INCREDIBLE. I have been in Jerusalem since just 2 weeks. Starting looking on the net for some info to discover Haredi practices and lifestyle, stumbled on your blog. Read nearly all of it. Find it great info, fascinating, truely interesting.

    Didn't have a place to go for shabbos meal but knew about maalot dafna 137/26. So I was actually in the same apartment as you... just after having read your entire blog for a couple of days!!!! I was in the back room with the Yeshivishe boys... I will have most likely seen you. Were you waiting outside as well? I waited quite a long time, was wearing a small blue kippah. I remember seeing a lady of your age alone just standing and waiting next to me, perhaps it was you... she had brown curly long hair. I was not wearing a suit, just wearing a shirt and a dark blue V neck pullover.

    I still remember the person that spoke about filling your stomach with wine on Purim, and the Yeshiva boy from Ukraine that spoke, and the Asian guy... it was really nice. But I find it unbelievable that you were there too. What a coincidence!!!

    And it gets even better: the next day I was at the Kotel too (in the afternoon)... but I did not see Rabbi Machlis there... and then I went walking around enjoying the good weather.

    Ich spreche auch ein bisschen Deutsch, ich bin von Belgien... if possible, I would like to meet you, perhaps I'll send you an e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    It sounds as if you were there on Friday night. At least, according to the speeches you mention.:-)

    No, I actually have dark blond short hair. Friday night I was sitting somewhere in the middle with two sephardi yeshiva guys across. Somewhere across the Rabbi.

    I was waiting outside but not for too long. Almost right in front of the door where two Americans and one Israeli were already fighting about the seating arrangement.:-)))

    Rabbi Machlis always has his special place at the Kotel. He started reading the Torah at about 10.30am and stood with his crowd at the right side in front of the wall.

    Are you again coming this Friday to the Machlises ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's true that everybody was rushing inside, many people were waiting for a quite a while already (we went in around 19.30 I believe, many people were present already at 18.45). Some made quite a fuss of where to sit, so I went in the backroom with the Yeshiva boys. Which actually was quite nice because I had a great conversation with one of them.

    I also remember the "funny" Israeli guy singing and dancing. The 'local Michael Jackson'. And the many American girls, one was dressed very strange (kind of a disguise, with a mask on her head, a bit too early for Purim though...) And also a blonde woman (a tourist I guess), she was thanking Rabbi Machlis extensively while speaking.

    OK I guess I did not see you, I was in that backroom... I must admit that I left a bit earlier (just before dessert). So I must have passed next to your table, but I didn't really pay attention, would have never thought meeting the "Shearim blogger" there... ;-)

    I might be there again this Friday... I'll keep you updated... are you going? We definitely must speak ;-) I have learned a lot from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. B"H

    Friday nights at the Machlises are always wild. It is crowded and hard for people finding a seat. The Rabbi even started setting up tables outside on the porch. He also put two heaters in there. Incredible !!!

    I was sitting at the table of the blond woman. On the other side of her and her husband. I think they were from Italy.

    The singer was nuts. He does his performance every week and people usually have a great laugh. You should have come for lunch as well and you would have seen more performances including a Christian missionary from Washington. However, he failed his "mission" completely.:-)))

    I will be there Friday night and Shabbat lunch.

    ReplyDelete