Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Traitor ?

B"H

Am I a traitor or not ?

A short while ago, I wrote about the haredi "Shefa – Market (Shuk) boycott. The Haredim boycott their popular grocery chain Shefa – Market because its owner, the Dor Alon Group, also owns the grocery chain "AM:PM" which is open on Shabbat. Rabbi Yosef Shalom Eliyashiv as well the the Gerer Rebbe, Rabbi Yaakov Aryeh Alter, called for a Shefa boycott until the Dor Alon Group gives in and closes AM:PM on Shabbat. As far as I know, the boycott has been delayed but nothing has been decided yet.

A little more then a week ago, posters (Fashivilim) appeared on the walls of Ge'ulah and Mea Shearim where the haredi population was informed that they can return shopping at Shefa. Last Sunday, however, Shefa opened one of its branch to the secular public and the Haredim started a wild demonstration in front of the particular branch. Shefa is designed for the haredi public and a customer is only let in when he dresses modestly. Women only enter dressed in long skirts and men with a head cover. If you don't accept the rules, you are not being allowed to enter.
Letting in the secular immodestly dressed public is seen as an offense by the Haredim. Shefa, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have much of a choice if they don't want their losses to grow.

Last week I entered a AM:PM branch in Tel Aviv. My excuse is that no other grocery store was open anymore. While entering I started asking myself if I am a traitor when I buy something at this "heretic" store. Although there were many customers inside, I ran out after less than a minute. The exaggerated prices had almost let me faint. How can people buy in such stores and who is able to pay such horrendous prices ?

Today at work I received coupons for the Pessach shopping. In Israel it is more then common that employers hands out such coupons as gifts to their employees. Usually before Pessach and Rosh HaShana.

And guess where I can go and spend the money ?
At the Shefa – Market.
Now what ?

Should I be loyal to the Haredim and keep boycotting or should I rather think materialistic and don't care ? Just get the groceries, no matter what.

I decided to be materialistic. I don't even have an excuse. Just pure materialism.

As I said, I am not sure about the latest boycott update. Is it put on hold or not ?
Am I getting stoned by the Haredim for entering or not ?
I will see tonight.

1 comment:

  1. B"H

    This morning, I finally made it to the "Shefa - Shuk" in Shamgar Street. Although the ban is a kind of delayed, the huge store was almost empty. There were some national religious, a few Litvishe and Belzer but that was about it.

    Itwas great not having to wait in front of the till for ages, however, I feel sorry for the employees, as they fear about their jobs.

    ReplyDelete