Friday, June 27, 2008

3 Tammuz

B"H

Next week (Thursday 3 and Friday 4, July), we are going to celebrate Rosh Chodes Tammuz (the beginning of the Jewish month Tammuz).

For Chabad (Lubavitcher) Chassidim is Tammuz 3rd an extremely important date because …

A few days ago, I spoke with a Chabad – Meshichist about this date.
Meshichists are those within the Chabad group who believe that the seventh and last Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, is the Meshiach.

Actually Tammuz 3rd is the Yahrzeit of Rebbe Schneerson, as he died in June 1994.
In Judaism, anniversaries (Yahrzeits) of someone's death are celebrated with a memorial service, a meal, many guests and speeches about the deceased. Thus, his soul is rising to a higher level.



The last Lubavitcher Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson.


As soon as I mentioned the word "Yahrzeit" to the Meshichist, he almost fainted. Chabad – Meshichists believe that the Rebbe has no Yahrzeit and didn't die. Instead Tammuz 3rd is the day when Rebbe Schneerson became invisible. He is still around but just in another dimension where we cannot see him.

I found the reaction of the Meshichist quite amusing but I also asked myself how people can really believe such claims. How far do people go in order to believe something ? Do they just react this way because they want to believe it ?

Maybe in order to escape the crucial reality where Rebbe Schneerson died in June 1994.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, where'd you find that picture? I would like to get it.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Honestly, I don't remember but it must have been someone public. Otherwise I would have given the link. Maybe Wikipedia but I really don't remember.

    ReplyDelete