Monday, June 30, 2008

Gur likes to separate

B"H

Those who look for chassidic information should not only rely on literature but also talk to Chassidim. And as everyone can surely imagine: In this respect, a woman has it much harder than a man.
An acquaintance of mine (a guy) just walks into all kinds of synagogues and talks to the Chassidim freely. For women it is not that easy, as they are already separated from the men and only depend on other women.

Male Chassidim don't speak to strange women except for their wives and daughters. This is the official version which is not always correct in our days. From the very beginning, I succeeded in talking to male Chassidim. It always depends on the situation and on the person himself. However, as soon as they hear that a woman knows a little, they start coming by themselves because they are curious.

The ones who like to talk are the Vishnitzer Chassidim connected to the Rebbe (two sons ?) in Bnei Brak. Belz loves to talk as well but the Belzer differ from the Vishnitzer, as they always promote their Rebbe and Belz, Belz, Belz.

The Vishnitzer I know, know everything about Chassidut and other groups. As soon as I start asking about Vishnitz they answer as well; and not only about the positive side. At Toldot Aharon and their split off, the Toldot Avraham Yitzchak, I can only talk to the women. I have to admit that my best conversations I had with a few Toldot Aharon women.

Very hard to get are the Gerer (Gur) Chassidim. I know a few of them for some years but they still love to tell me all the propaganda:
The Rebbe, the Rebbe, the Rebbe.
Anything positive you can imagine. The moment I start asking about certain background information, the guys keep quiete. They even claimed that Gur has no written Takanot (internal laws) which I found hard to believe from the beginning. Then I asked Chassidim from other groups about it and they said that Gur surely must have something but doesn't want to hand it over to outsiders.

Chassidut Gur is a extremely closed group. You think that the Toldot Aharon are secret ? Well, go to Gur and you find something worse.

Friends told me that I should be stubborn until I get some information but I have to say that I am not that interested in Gur that I would run after them for months let alone years. Whatever I get, I get. Another reason is that to me, Chassidut Gur is not that interesting although I am a Peshis'cha - fan (Rabbi Simcha Bunim of Peshis'cha, 1765 – 1827).

On the other hand, I hardly have an explanation why Gur tries to be so secret. Maybe it is their way of keeping separate and they don't want to avoid contact with negative influences. Avoid that Chassidim marry out or leave the group.

But if Chassidut Gur fears that outsiders could know about their Sex – Takanot, I have to say that all other Chassidim know about them anyway. And if not, you can find all the necessary information on the Internet.

2 comments:

  1. where on the internet? I cant find any information on Gerer and the only contact I had with Chassidim while I was in Israel was Aleksander, Belz, Breslov, Bishtina, Chabad, & Vizhnitz. (not in that order). I didnt get to any Gerer Shuls or to the contacts I was provided that speak english.

    Any info would be nice. my email is ogmikec@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    No wonder. The present Gerer Rebbe forbade his Chassidim the Internet use.
    Unless someone has to work with it, but no surfing around.

    This has been a Gerer law for more than a year. Rebbe Yaakov Aryeh Alter wants his Chassidim to concentrate on holy things and not being tempted looking at "dirty" pictures. Not following one's Yetzer, etc.

    It is more than hard receiving information about them. They simply don't want to talk. Only about the glorious Rebbe.:-)

    ReplyDelete