Sunday, July 20, 2008

I don't live here anymore

B"H

Last Shabbat's events just seemed to be too much for me. Staying in Tel Aviv on Shabbat is very different from Jerusalem. When you are in Jerusalem and you are Jewish, you are being confronted with a thousand possibilities.

Let's say you are new in town or simply a Jewish tourist. You don't know anyone and are looking for a place for Shabbat. Then the easiest way for you is going to the Kotel (Western Wall) right after candle lighting and meeting a guy called Jeff Seidel at the water fountain at the entrance to the men's side of the Kotel. Jeff Seidel is a rather short guy from Chicago. He always wears saddle shoes has a black head. "Need a place for Shabbes ?" That's his regular question to anyone. Just meet Jeff and he will get you a place for Shabbat within minutes.

Nothing like this is happening anywhere else in Israel and you cannot compare anything to Jerusalem. In Tel Aviv, for instance, you have to know people and then, slowly slowly, you are able to step into something. The same in Bnei Brak.

Last Friday night, I spent the Kabbalat Shabbat at the Chabad shul near Sheinkin Street in Tel Aviv. Everyone thinks that Chabad is so open and, at least, doing something. Well, not where I went. Most people praying there are not Chabad and the very few Chabadniks are not too interested in you. Of course, they like you to come but that's it. Nothing further is happening.

I had prepared my Shabbat meal in private. This is very recommendable when you are in Tel Aviv. At the Chabad shul I noticed a few newcomers and I think that they where waiting for a Kiddush afterwards. At least a common Kiddush. But nothing happened and people went home. When I saw all this I thought that maybe next time, I should bring some grape juice and some food and make a Kiddush for such people right outside in the park.

Of course, Chabad is not responsible for all those people who don't know what to do on Shabbat. But, at least, make a Kiddush or something small.

After Kabbalat Shabbat, I went to Bnei Brak and there was the same. Yeshivot are closed until August 16th (e.g. Ponibezh) and many Rebbes are on their holiday vacation. The result was that nothing was going on. Chassidut Modzizh had a Tish but this seems to be for men only. One of the two present Vishnitzer Rebbes of Bnei Brak, Rabbi Israel Hager, was in Petach Tikwah and celebrating something with the Vishnitz youth. So, he didn't give his regular Bnei Brak Tish.

I went to the Shomrei Emunim and to Nadvorna, but there was the same picture. Nothing happening. However, I felt connected to all those hundreds of outsiders walking around and looking for a chassidic Tish. None of us seemed to be successful that night and I went home to Tel Aviv.

Yesterday I went back to Chabad. Nice service but nothing else. No Kiddush, no nothing. I was very upset about it and I will start looking for another shul. Not that I am after the Kiddush but I like places with a certain personal atmosphere and not "come, pray and go home". Have a nice day. Maybe I am just too spoiled from the Jerusalem but that's the way it is.

Usually religious Jews are not too excited about Tel Aviv. The funny thing is that I really started to like living there. Except on Shabbat maybe. Last night, on Mozzaei Shabbat (after Shabbat was over), I went to Jerusalem because I am having an appointment here this morning. Well, I thought I would get some more "Shabbat leftover feeling" in Jerusalem but I was wrong. The only thing I felt was that I don't live here anymore. Strange feeling.

It doesn't seem that I had a great Shabbat but this can happen. Sometimes you are in the mood and sometimes you are not. Everything just goes wrong. Maybe it would be a good idea setting up a table in front of the Carmel Market and making a public Kiddush for all those Jews in Tel Aviv who are running around and looking for something, but nothing is showing up.

An easy fast (17th Tammuz) and a great week to all of you !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment