Thursday, January 22, 2009

Is there anyone to vote for ?


B"H

After all the American election excitement, Israel is now going through the same procedure: Knesset Elections on 10th February 2009.

The great question for me is "who to vote for". It is well - known that the majority of Israeli politicians is either corrupt or just doesn't care about anything but himself, reputation and money. However, if there is a new election coming up, the same old politicians are showing up on the voting lists; again and again. For years, this has been going on and no change is at sight.

The past two times, I voted for the National Religious Party. Twice is enough and this time I need a change. The NRP transformed into a new group but I am anything but interested in them. Their political actions are running towards ZERO and the entire party is just a waste of time. Except for my favourite politician Aryed Eldad.

Aryeh has to manage without me this time.
But for whom to vote ?
Bibi Netanyahu and the Likud ? - Netanyahu accepts millions of Dollar from radical Christian missionary groups; and Bibi ? We already had him as prime minister and he is no great change compared to Kadima. Wasn't it him giving Hebrion back to the Palestinians ?
No, Bibi doesn't mean a great change to what we are facing now.

How about the haredi party "Yahadut HaTorah" ?
As a religious person I need to be aware of my identity and show some solidarity with the Kipa and wig (sheitel) life.
I definitely would but Yaakov Litzman and his colleagues only stand for their own haredi society.
Where do I fit in ? As a person not particularly dressed in haredi clothes and not belonging to society. Do they represent me as well ?

Who else is there ?
Last night at work, I asked around if all of the colleagues are going to vote. Yes, they do and gave me bad looks when I took into consideration not to vote at all. There simply is no politician I trust.

"We all have to go and throw out this catastrophe called government", my colleagues said. True, so I will go but vote for whom ? Then another colleague told me for whom she is going to vote. For Avigdor Lieberman.
She is Israeli and I was surprised, as Lieberman mostly stands for Russian immigrant interests. However, my colleague claimed that all we need in Israel is Lieberman. A strong hand or better "fist". Show the Arabs their limits and fight terror.


Avigdor Lieberman - The new Me'ir Kahane of our times ?


I had never taken Lieberman into any consideration but will think about the idea. Why not him ?
It cannot be much worse and let's be honest, besides a social agenda, we need someone our enemies fear and respect. Maybe more fear. And Lieberman is a great character fulfilling this kind of position.

But wait a second ?
Wasn't Lieberman, despite all his extreme right - wing - talk part of the Olmert government ? At least for a few months ?
So, where is his credibility ?

I see, I could go on and on and on.
Is there anyone out there to vote for ?

No comments:

Post a Comment