Thursday, May 15, 2008

Breslov is catching up

B"H

Aren't we all used to seeing Chabad everywhere we go ?
Chabadnikim are just anywhere; even in Thailand.

Within the past few years, I was always asking myself: "Why only Chabad ? Where is Breslov ?

Not that I am a great Breslover. In fact, I don't belong to any specific chassidic group. There are many things I like in each group and I wouldn't really be able to stick to only one particular group and follow only one Rebbe.

However, for some years I studied with Chabad as well as with Breslov although I wasn't interested in joining. My only goal was learning more about Chassidut. But one thing I have to admit: I feel much closer to the teachings and stories of Rabbi Nachman than I do with any story of one of the Lubavitcher Rebbes. One reason might be that Rabbi Nachman was a direct descendant of the Baal Shem Tov and Rabbi Shneur Zalman wasn't even a student of the Besht.

In Israel, Chabad is doing a great job by offering to put on Tefilin. In most shopping malls, Chabad has its stands. Tefilin, Parasha, whatever you want. In Jerusalem they have two soup kitchens: one across the Kotel (Western Wall) and another one in Mea Shearim. The Meshichistim are also visible, as they dance anywhere with their Meschiach flags.

But now Breslov has obviously decided to catch up. Two new stands in the Jerusalem Ben Yehudah shopping mall and one big stand in downtown Tel Aviv: Allenby - Sheinkin Street.

The two Ben Yehudah stands obviously don't work together. One is run by the Na Na Chassidim and the other is run by the students of Rabbi Shalom Arush. In Tel Aviv, on the other hand, the big stand is only run by the Na Na Chassidim.

The students of Rabbi Arush are very anxious selling his publications ("The Garden of Emuna" and others). When I passed by, they immediately asked me if I want a book or a Chizuk. However, "The Garden of Emuna" is already in my possession and I strongly recommend it to all people looking for explanations in life.

The last Lubavitcher Rebbe only died in June 1994, and therefore the group has still more structure or chassidic contexts. Yes, yes, I know that there are many groups with different goals inside Chabad. But still, Chabad has a headquarter and a certain kind of leadership.

Rabbi Nachman of Breslov was the only Rebbe the Breslover Chassidim ever had and since he died (1810), no one has ever taken the Rebbe's position. One might think that many ideas got lost and that there is no structure at all. But even without a Rebbe, Breslov has survived and Rabbis like Eliezer Berland or his student Rabbi Shalom Arush keep the Chassidut alive. Both Rabbis joined Breslov later on in their lives. Rabbi Berland founded his own Yeshiva in the Old City of Jerusalem and later, also his student Rabbi Arush founded his own institution.

Especially "The Garden Of Emuna" by Rabbi Arush became very popular in Israel. Thousands of copies were sold and it was even translated into English. I think that this is a great public relation for a chassidic group and Breslov is famous for accepting newcomers or bringing Jews closer to Judaism.

Many people from abroad asked me about Breslov. They read the stories of Rabbi Nachman and would like to know more. The only problem is that there aren't too many Breslovers in European countries or elsewhere. The result is that many interested people only depend on the Breslover websites.

Maybe Breslov should go a step further and start doing some outreach in other countries as Chabad does. First of all, it would be great having someone else offering Chassidut besides Chabad and furthermore, people would really be interested.

Maybe Breslov should take this into consideration.
Anyway, I am glad seeing some more Breslovers around in Israel.

Good luck in Ben Yehudah and Sheinkin !!!!

Breslov World

2 comments:

  1. Dear Miriam,
    Rav Arush does do outreach all over the world. See www.breslovworld.com . Also, his main talmid, Rav Lazer Brody, gives the Rav's CD lessons over in English. See www.lazerbrody.net. Your blog is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Shalom Batya,

    I am surprised, as I didn't know that Rebbi Arush is international. I always thought that he is a typical Israeli phenomenon.:-))))

    But it is great to hear that Breslov is doing much more abroad.

    I recommended his book "Garden of Emuna" on my German blog as well but Germans have difficulties with the English. It would be a great idea if the book would be translated into German as well, as there definitely is a market.

    In the meantime, I have translated many Breslov teachings and explanations.

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete