Thursday, October 23, 2008

Better to Shut Up ?

B"H

There are things which make me really upset. Especially when it comes to the religious world. And what drives me crazy there is when some people think that they are so holy, religious, pious, whatever, that hardly anyone else can compete with them. Especially not me because I am just someone walking around in pants and having all these "rebellious" ideas. I am not spending lots of time of my day praying. Tehillim (Psalms) or all the prayers. I do pray but not so obvious for others that they, on the other hand, think that I am so great.

But my intention is not to give the impression that I am disappointed of not getting accepted. This is not the issue.
The issue is that people who think they are so holy behave worse than many totally secular or even heretics.
As soon as some Jews (or potential Jews) see the light and either convert or become Baalei Teshuva, they think that from now on, they are only full or justice, Kedusha (holiness) and Chesed (kindness). Only some Jews and I am not generalizing.

Being a Baal Teshuva doesn't only include doing Mitzwot and praying regularly; it rather means changing your personality to the better and into the direction of Torah. Many people don't even understand this basic principle and don't stop telling others what their particular rabbi has taught them. Only the rabbi counts and the newcomers quote you anything which prooves them right.
On the other hand, when you look at their behaviour, something else comes out; and this is definitely nothing religious. And I am going that far to claim that some converts to Judaism should have rather stayed Christian instead of now bothering Jews with their Torah quotes in a Christian drill sergeant style.

Not only in the litvishe society but also in the chassidishe Welt !
And by the way, where are all the true pious Chassidim from the past ? If we only had the Baal Shem Tov coming back today and looking at all the mess. Chassidic groups are fighting with each other and believe it or not, even a pot full of Cholent is enough to start a fight (as it happened last Sukkot between the Toldot Aharon and the Toldot Avraham Yitzchak).

I do have more to say about the subject but still have to figure out if I want to use names or just put it into a short story. Not Mea Shearim but this time, it is the litvishe Americans driving me crazy.

Well, some of them and not all.

Some people told me that even if there are problems in religious society, we should try to get over it and rather not mention them publically. Who cares anyway and what can you change ? Maybe some people care but there won't be changes. So what ? Why not keep quiet and get over it. Don't bother and continue your own life. Why wasting time and energy ?

I tried to think that way but the whole behaviour seriously bothers me. I cannot just sit and forget. Tomorrow is another day and let's start something new. There are topics which definitely have to be made public. The only question is: How far should we go ? Are there any people involved who could get harmed ?
These questions are very important to me and thus, it is not always easy to find the best solution or a solution at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment