Friday, October 10, 2008

New Celebrations Ahead



B"H

Yom Kippur is over and now we are already looking forward to the next holiday. All in all, the holidays are sometimes too much. Especially the food and those millions of calories.

However, Shabbat is starting in a few hours and I haven't decided what I am going to do. Going to a chassidic Tish or not ?
As it looks, I will spend the entire Sukkot holiday in Bnei Brak which seems to be very positive for two reasons:
First of all, I am finally able to visit groups such as Lelov, Bohush, Vishnitz, Sadigura, Biala, Nadvorna, and many others. Secondly, it is high time for me taking a break from Jerusalem and all those frum girls I have been hanging around with lately.
I cannot hear the name "Neve Yerushalaim" or anything else anymore. Although I enjoy the frum company very much, after a while especially those girls start going on my nerves. I am more of a creative person and I need to think. When I speak to those girls I feel how limited sometimes our conversations are. It's all about Neve and what the rabbis teach them. Don't even mention the word "TV". "Chas veShalom !"

This is why I never fit into a program and do, more or less, my own thing. Just as every ordinary Jew does.

Well, maybe I shouldn't have said all this right after Yom Kippur ...

Do my remarks fall under the category "Lashon HaRah - idle gossip" ?
I am a little confused now and because I am confused, I need to go away and take some time to think. Bnei Brak might be not the right place but don't forget - Tel Aviv has a beach !

Shabbat Shalom to all of you and enjoy your Shabbat as much as you can. And don't get yourself confused.:-)

2 comments:

  1. Its easy to be frum in seminary or yeshiva in Yerushalyim. Its funnier when they go back to Chutzla Aretz. Try to be like that in Los Angeles. I dont own a TV, but this Baal Teshuvah attitude off being so frum and not doing certain things bugs me.

    I once overheard a conversation of a girl asking another girl and guy to go to a movie. The girl responded "Oh I dont go to movies anymore, I just dont have a desire too"

    Proving yourself to man is easy. Hopefully this Yom Kippur we were all able to prove ourselves to HaKodesh Barach Hu.

    Good Shabbos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    I recently read the book "Flipping out" describing the behaviour of the newly religious. Honestly, I was quite disappointed of the book, as, for me, it was too American and far too scientific. No real live examples were given but everything was kept more in statistics. Mostly describing young Jews who had, more or less, been religious before they came to an Israeli Yeshiva.

    I would have love some interviews with AISH or Ohr Sameach guys and them returning to the States. I heard about many cases where the new Yeshiva student put on a black hat in Jerusalem but, as soon as he went back to the States, followed his old lifestyle.

    I think that when you study in Jerusalem, many times you are overwhelmed. In the Yeshiva there is a kind of togetherness and one feels connected.

    As soon as such people go back to, let's assume "the secular parents" in the States, they have to face reality and, very often, this is a big problem.

    ReplyDelete