Saturday, October 25, 2008

Chassidic Clothes - A brief History

B"H

In 1764, Russia, Prussia and Austria divided Poland, Latvia, Reisin and the Ukraine among each other, and for the next 120 years, the local Chassidim were forced to adjust to Russian, etc. rules. When Russia, Prussia and Austria divided the four other areas, the governments didn't take all the thousands of Chassidim into consideration. Suddenly there were all these Chassidim in countries not really used to them. And especially the Christian population feared the spreading of Chassidut (Christians may convert to Judaism, etc.).

Very early, Russia introduced new laws concerning chassidic life and clothing style:

1. Jews were not allowed to spread all over the new ruling countries but had to live in certain areas only.

2. Jews had to follow a special clothing style.

3. Example: Jewish traders were forced to wear German or Russian clothing style and not anything chassidic.

Especially religious Jews have always kept Jewish traditions and, throughout history, have tried to keep a special clothing style separating them from Gentiles. And didn't most of the Jews (Israelites) in Egypt keep three important Jewish traditions:

1. The Hebrew language.

2. Giving Jewish names to their children.

3. A Jewish clothing style.

In 1827, two years after Czar Nicolas I. came to power, he introduced a fatal law: Every Jewish child (young man) had to join the Russian army. Rabbis and families feared to loose many religious young man to secularism. In the army they wouldn't be provided with kosher food and get into contact with Gentiles and their customs and religion. How should these Jewish young men resist all the temptations and, furthermore, loose time to study Torah ?

The chassidic Rabbi Simcha Bunim of Peshis'cha stated: "Every Jew has to be extremely careful not to adjust his clothes to Gentile clothes because our Jewish clothes give us Kedusha (Holiness) and this is where we depend on".

There are opinions considering chassidic kaftans as something kabbalistic and mystical. So far, I haven't really had the time to find out more but, for now, let's put it this way: The chassidic groups Toldot Aharon, the Toldot Aharon Yitzchak as well as parts of Breslov, sometimes wear two kaftans on Shabbat. Mostly a brown kaftan over their first regular one, and this second kaftan represents the kabbalistic "Or Makif – A shining light".

Especially the Russian and the Austrian governments introduced many rulings concerning the Jews and their clothes. They should look "normal" and dress as everyone else did. Even the Peyes (side curls) were supposed to be cut off. However, religious Jews refused to give in to the new rules and rather preferred paying a high tax to the above governments in order to keep their traditional style and the Peyes.

_______________________________

Source:

Among others – An article written by Rabbi Amram Bloi (Blau) and published in the chassidic magazine "Heichal HaBesht".

Rabbi Amram Bloi (1894 – 1974) used to be the head of the Neturei Karta in Mea Shearim.

6 comments:

  1. I hate to say it, but I'm sorry you would use any source of "Rabbi" Blau. And the fact that you wrote that other post about simchas torah in the neturai karta shul was a bit upsetting. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miriam!

    What of the oft-told origin for Hasidic dress being the garb of the Eastern European aristocracy? The way I heard it was, since the Hasidic movement stressed the importance of every Jew, even the unlearned, all Hassidim should wear the get-up of the aristocrats. Not a million miles from kids in the ghetto buying Yves Saint Laurent sweaters. Any thoughts?

    Best wishes

    Avi

    ReplyDelete
  3. B"H

    To Comment No.1:

    I was looking for explanations on chassidic clothes and the article of Rabbi Blau was one of the first ones I could get hold of. I didn't look for him in particular but started some research. Of course, there are plenty of other sources and I will use them as well. But, so far, Rabbi Blau made a very important point by mentioning the governnment rulings that Chassidim have to change their clothes into something modern.

    Also my friends criticised me for going to the Neturei Karta. I have to make clear that I am NOT Neturei Karta and especially don't agree with those meeting the Iranian President.

    In the past, I learned a lot about anti - Zionism and do get the point why anti - Zionists think in a certain way. They can do whatever they want but no one should meet one of the greatest Arab terrorists and Holocaust denier.

    On the other hand, I do write about special subjects and this includes the Neturei Karta as well. I don't necessarily have to agree with them but should at least go there in order to get a small picture. As I am female, I suppose that they wouldn't talk to me anyway. However, I went for Simchat Beit HaShoeva and I am planning to go to their synagogue for the Shacharit. My friends already let me know that, at least, I should not let myself getting invited for any Kiddush or meal afterwards.
    As I don't think about or don't expect getting an invitation, I could not give an answer how my reaction would be if there was an invitation.


    To Comment No. 2:

    I read many times that people usually say that the chassidic clothes basically stem from the Eastern European aristocracy. However, I also heard that this opinion, in many cases, is a prejudice and that there is more behind than just the Streimel for the king or so.

    At the moment, I am going through some more material and will write many more details about the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B"H

    Why do many chassidic women, especially from chassidic groups of Hungarian origin (Toldot Aharon or Toldot Avraham Yitzchak) wear white aprons on Shabbat ?

    http://shearim.blogspot.com/2007/06/hungarian-romanian-chassidic-clothing.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miriam,
    I know it;s about clothes in here but what has just come into my mind.
    Being in Russian Army meant in practice 25 years of serving (sic!)and staying out of your roots and family.Something unbelievable for a traditional not to mention chassidic Jew.
    Settlement zones-another horrendous idea of tsarism.The only way to get outside those zones was by practically dropping Judaism i.e. attending Russian only school, not practicing, avoiding and abandoning Synagogue and generally hating those, who were part of yourself. And finally clothes-modernized and in it's hidden expression anti-Jewish.
    Yes, those above among many other steps were created purposely to destroy the Jewishness from inside, lead to secularism.
    In many ways it happened to be arguably one of the most successful ideas of tsarism and then communism.I dare to say we wouldn't have Zionism without it.
    I'm not judging here, just trying to expose some facts, sad indeed...
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  6. B"H

    Hi Lucia,

    First of all, I am sorry that I haven't found the time answering your e - mail. But I will answer you.:-))))

    Joining the Russian army was definitely an attempt of getting rid of religious Jews. As well as changing the dress code. But concerning the dress code, many Jews paid higher taxes and didn't change anything or not much.

    It is interesting but going through all those details also teaches a lot about Jewish history and all the connections. Clothes seem to be boring but if you look at all the historical facts, just the opposite seems to be the case.
    Unfortunately, there is not too much literature about the clothes subject and I need to ask different Chassidim.

    I do agree to Zionism but, on the other hand, I am also preparing articles about the role of religious Zionism in the time of the Holocaust. And there we definitely have to differentiate between certain streams of national religious Zionis which weren't always so religious. Especially when you look at the chassidic history and how many (not all) national religious Zionist during the days of war cared more about themselves but about others.

    But, as it is in our history, there are plenty of opinions and who, at all, agrees to anyone else ? :-)

    ReplyDelete