Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chabad Meshichistim in Tel Aviv's Shenkin Street

B"H

Shenkin Street in downtown Tel Aviv used to be THE secular symbol of the city. Cafes, restaurants, fashion ... and everything in a very secular Tel Aviv manner. By the way, many cafes there are still open on Shabbat, others are kosher. 

As a visitor to Tel Aviv, people love to stream into Shenkin Street on Fridays. Look at the fashion stores and shop. Prices are ridiculously high but this doesn't keep customers away. Buying at Shenkin is like buying in Paris, Rome or Beverly Hills. 

For some time now, Orthodox Judaism is not that unknown anymore. The Breslover Nanas have been flooding the area and opened a center next to the park. The street is not as short as it looks and goes to Yehudah HaLevi Street, then changing its name into Lincoln leading until Yitzchak Sadeh. 

About two weeks ago I saw this in the middle of Shenkin Street:




Photos: Miriam Woelke

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I dont want to sound like a nagger, or a snob, but as someone who has lived in NYC, Paris London, Sao Paulo and most European main cities, I feel I can say that SHEINKIN is over-rated. I was really disappointed. I expected luxury and glamour; yet I found it much more chic in Mamila Mall (Jerusalem), or charm in Neve Tzedek.
    My opinion ... Maybe it's something special for TLV, but still upper Dizengoff is tough competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    I totally agree. There are much better streets in Tel Aviv than Shenkin and Zeve Zedek has, indeed, much more flair. The same as Florentin or even Bugrashov Street.

    On the other hand, when you go to the upper part of Shenkin, near Rothschild, it has a bit more glamour than the lower part near King George.

    ReplyDelete