Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Lehitchazek - Strengthening"


The national religious at the Kotel (Western Wall)

B"H

When you speak to an Israeli haredi Baal Teshuva (a Jew turning religious later in life), you may hear that he or she became haredi because he wanted to strengthen himself. In Hebrew we use the term "lehitchazek" (from "Chizuk"). And when you ask any further, many times these people wishing to strengthen themselves were first national religious and then became haredi.

I was then asking myself why these people turned haredi at all. Isn't being "national religious" not religious enough ? For instance, I know many national religious sometimes being stricter than some litvishe Haredim. And, furthermore, as national religious you can at least wear whatever you want. Most wear "normal" clothes, meaning jeans and a shirt. Women don't cover their hair with wigs (sheitel) but with hats or Midpachot. Society is less strict and basically you can do whatever you want and are free. Isn't this something ? Why becoming haredi and going through all these, sometimes weird, changes ?

Years ago, when I myself was studying in a national religious Yeshiva, I suddenly got the drive to perfect myself. Being religious in the most prefect way possible. This was due to some chassidic friends I had and I should add that it wasn't their personal fault that I wanted to strengthen myself. They neither tried to missionize me nor told me to change. No, I myself had started to look at haredi society as THE perfect society. Of course, no one is perfect but generally speaking, haredi society is the way a Torah Jew should live.

Israeli Haredim sometimes look down on the national religious. "Wearing clothes like a Goi (in this case "Gentile") but being religious. This doesn't go together. Further, the national religious just pick their Mitzwot and don't keep everything".

The national religious, on the other hand, see in many Haredim fanatics. A close society with no pleasure but law.
However, I also met many national religious showing lots of respect to the Haredim and vice versa. Nothing is only black and white.


Litvishe Haredim

There are differences in the mentality of both societies and everyone has to figure out by himself where he feels more comfortable. I think that some former national religious now looking for Chizuk are simply attracted by the haredi world and later find out reality. The some know how to deal with the new society others leave or stay without making an effort to fit in. The latter is mostly taking place in the litvishe world whereas in chassidic groups one has to fit in and be part of it.

There are Jews striving for additional piety. They want to be more serious and take upon themselves further restrictions and religious tasks. Some individuals may ask themselves what G - d really wants from them. "Can't I do more ?" This is a thought I heard many times.

"What can I take upon myself this coming Rosh HaShana in order to strengthen and perfect myself ?"
Those kinds of thoughts don't mean that I instantly have to become haredi but many people still consider a Haredi more pious than the regular national religious Jew.
Why ?
The answer to that is a different one for each Jew.


Gerrer (Gur) Chassidim

When I underwent the change, I found my answer rather fast. I wasn't the type to lead a haredi life and I started asking myself if G - d really wants me to be haredi. I didn't want myself being a Haredi any longer and left society. Others being unhappy also leave or suffer through (I wouldn't recommend to anyone any "suffering through" but leave).

No comments:

Post a Comment