Friday, August 21, 2009

Shabbat Shalom


B"H

Next week I will be blogging a little less, as I am taking a brief vacation. On Sunday, for instance, I am going to travel around some national religious settlements north of Jerusalem and see how the people there live. Of course, I am going to put a longer article about the trip to Sderot and Netivot (to the grave of the Baba Sali) in the blog as well as the report about the settlements.

I have hardly been to any kind of settlement and it will an experience. Generally I am a city person and cannot stand living in small places. Sderot for one day was fine but otherwise I need a city or I am going nuts. This is why the small Mea Shearim world is nothing for me. I need to get out at least once a week and do something completely different. Sitting and talking to the women of a chassidic group is nice but after a while I get the feeling to meet other people as well. Only the backyard life would make me freak out after two weeks or so.

The high temperatures are really finishing me. Especially in Tel Aviv where I sometimes cannot move without any air condition around. Not only due to work I am always tired but also because of the weather which is making you dizzy. Thus I am looking forward to cooler weather starting in September.

For tourists:

Tel Aviv is totally flooded with tourists and, in case you are planning to stay in one of the hostels, you should definitely book in advance. The best places are probably the Sky Hostel, Momo's and the HaYarkon Hostel. I've heard that the worst is the Mugrabi Hostel which already from the outside looks like a shabby hut.

I am not a religious beach person and the religious beach in Tel Aviv looks rather like a prison. High concrete walls are surrounding it and nothing romantic is at sight. When I am saying "romantic" I mean watching a colourful sunset, for example. I simple cannot imagine any kind of spiritual world creation feeling while staring at concrete walls. And besides, seeing only women is boring. The regular beach, on the other hand, is crowded, some romantic feeling is showing up but too many people walk around immodest. Why do have all these elderly (fat) people squeeze themselves into either bikinis or tight bathing suits. It just doesn't fit anymore and they look ridiculous.

Lashon HaRah, Lashon HaRah (slander), yes, yes.

And this in the month of Elul. Nevertheless, this is the subject women are interested in: Elderly and bigger people wanting to show off with their bodies.
Just look at Madonna ! I haven't met her at the Tel Aviv beach yet (she is giving a concert in Tel Aviv at the beginning of September). But look at all her wrinkles. She cannot hide her age anymore.
Although I am not that old, the grey hair is coming and maybe soon some wrinkles.

I just wonder if chassidishe Frauen (women) like Satmar, Belz or the Toldot Aharon have the same subjects to talk about. Well, maybe not the beach and Madonna but diets and things. I am sure that the Toldot Aharon do, as they always show each other the new rings they have got. Let alone their new watches, chains and skirts.

What's up on Schabbes ?

This afternoon I am going to Jerusalem and I have no further plans whatsoever.

"Shabbat Shalom - Gut Schabbes" to all readers and enjoy the beach. Wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment