Thursday, August 13, 2009

Should I be a Member of something ?

B"H

There are plenty of Yeshivot and women's seminaries in Jerusalem and those who are on a search won't find any lack of offerings. The only things which needs to be done is choosing the right studies.


Basically there are three groups offering programmes:
The national religious, Chabad as well as Breslover Chassidim and the Litvaks (litvishe Haredim).

Last Shabbat, my host in Mea Shearim had different guests including two girl's groups studying two different ideologies. Some of the girls are studying at a litvishe programme in Bnei Brak and other girls are studying at a Breslover programme in Jerusalem.
One of the Ba'alat Teshuva (becoming religious later in one's life) raised the question if a Baal Teshuva should start with Torah and Halachot first. Learning the basics of one's own religion before moving on, hence making a decision in what direction to go to.
Let's say a secular Jews decides to study religion or become religious, he should start with the basics. The Torah Parasha of the week and daily Halachot.

Why study all this spirituality and leaving out Halachot ? It doesn't help if I know how to "fly through spiritual spheres" but, on the other hand, I am unable to keep the most important laws on Shabbat ? The "chassidic" girls including two from Chabad responded that there are Baalei Teshuva who can only connect to their own religion through Chassidut. In fact, especially Chabad taught me about the different soul roots of every Jew. Our souls all come from different sources in the Upper Worlds and thus, we are different from each other. If my friend can only connect to Judaism by learning Halacha and stressing this particular subject, it doesn't mean that I have to be the same. Of course, I am also studying Halacha and know the rules, however, I can even more enjoy everything by entering a spiritual part into my studies. There are plenty of spiritual / kabbalisitc reasons why we keep this and that Halacha.

Some of us love Jewish history, Jewish philosophy, Torah, the Prophets, Mussar (Ethics), Talmud, whatever. And each one of us has to find his preference and concentrate on what helps him most connecting to his Creator.

The litvishe girl didn't give up and said that if someone new to the religious life is jumping from this subject to that subject, from this community to that community, in the end he will be without a special frame and without any fundament. It is extremely important to first build a firm foundation, hence Halachot and Torah, and then move on to special subjects and preferences.

I must admit that the litvishe had a point. There should be some level of stability first and then someone can look around and decide on what he would like to concentrate. What life he wants to lead. If chassidic, litvish or something else.
But, on the other hand, is it always vital finding a community ?
If I may speak for myself: I don't have a firm community and love to do Synagogue shopping. Mainly chassidic and I know some people in different communities. When I go I decide where to on my way. I am not the type of going into the same Synagogue over and over again where people even have their name stuck on the seat.

Real Chassidim mostly go into their own Synagogue and let me tell you, many of the Toldot Aharon women have their name stuck onto the window sill at the Ezrat Nashim (women's side). However, the name tugs are from the high holidays and don't count throughout the year, I was told by one of the Toldot Aharon woman.

There is something about having a community but there is also something about Synagogue shopping. And why not taking over some of the different customs ? If someone is happy with that, why not ? Countless Israelis are not necessarily a community member but either go into a Synagogue nearby or keep moving from one to the next.

2 comments:

  1. "Real Chassidim..." Please explain. What is a "real Chasid"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Those following their Takanot !:-)

    ReplyDelete