Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Sheitel War

Photo + Article: Kikar Shabbat


B"H

Sometimes I am asking myself if there is nothing more severe in the world than fighting about the validity of a Sheitel (wig). Is Gentile hair on a wig kosher or not ? Among others, the Vilna Gaon said YES, today others say NO, because the kind of wig may have changed.

As we all know, a married (divorcee or widow) Jewish religious woman has to cover her hair and this mostly happens by a Sheitel (wig). The national religious as well as the women of Chassidut Breslov cover their hair with all different kinds of hats and Midpachot (see picture left). They don't use wigs and the Sheitel majority is worn by haredi women.

I haven't dealt with the matter too much. First of all, I am not married and secondly, I don't think that I would cover my hair with a Sheitel but with a modern hat.
To me the whole wig issue is strange. Why should I cover my hair with hair ? I don't need real or artificial hair and find a wig disgusting. Furthermore, it costs too much money. Not only to purchase a Sheitel but to keep it clean and in order. Therefore, a hat seems to be more appropriate getting a hat.

It is easy for me to say so, as I am not actively involved in haredi society. Not anymore.
I am still coming with the old - fashion arguments why, as a woman, I need to cover my hair and wear the most modest clothes on earth. I see haredi guys walking with their shirts open, sleeves rolled up and sometimes wearing sandals. What about the women ? My husband would walk around comfortably while I am sweating and are hardly able to breathe ?

I do see the point and I do understand that most haredi women go for a Sheitel. For whatever society and halachic reasons. All kinds of Israeli Rabbis have been fighting for years over the wig issue. The former Sephardic Chief Rabbi Ovadiah Yosef is against wigs, Ashkenazic Rabbis are in favour of it and the Toldot Aharon only like baldness and a Yasemeh on top.

Toldot Aharon women. Not the only bald women, as most women in chassidic society shave off their hair.

And for years the wild discussion about the ban on a wig with Gentile hair has been a subject in Israel. I think it is the Lubavitcher where the women only wear wigs made of artificial hair. So, at least Chabad doesn't seem to have such a problem.:-)


Personally I don't think that this issue of the right kosher Scheitel is not as important as keeping Shabbat, "Bein Adam Le'Chavero - Attitude towards other people" or other Torah Mitzwot.

Does G - d care if I wear a wig with Gentile or artificial hair ? Does He care at all if I am wearing a wig ? Covering one's hair fine but why do I have to spend an enormous amount of money for strange hair and then being told that my head cover is not kosher enough.

My suggestion for all those not being anti - Zionists:




Links:

Cover your Hair

Headcoverings by Devorah

6 comments:

  1. great pic of TA women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    It was originally taken a few months ago. I think by the Israeli daily MAARIV.

    But you haven't seen the best picture:

    The legs of the TA women standing on the metal Tish benches.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am divorced and do not cover my hair, however, I do wear it tied up and not flowing loose. I spoke to many (orthodox) rabbis and was told that covering of the hair was primarily a cultural thing from eastern europe. Apparently this is not a biblical thing. Some of the rabbis wives do not cover! I've never even been able to tolerate a sun-hat or rain-hat. I dress modest, but my head is open. Frankly I am sick of women having to walk around like potato-sacks so the men can stay holy--what a bunch of horse-patootie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B"H

    I don't know to which rabbis you spoke but their opinion is totally totally wrong.

    A married, divorced woman or a widow covering her hair it Halacha !
    And there is a biblical source: For instance, the incident when Rivka is meeting Yitzchak for the first time.

    I don't know if you are Orthodox but your opinion doesn't sound like it. I don't even know how it sounds ... Jews usually know that Halacha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mirriam! firstly the site Kikar has another article that shows the other side of the coin.
    Secondly regarding divorced women, its not simple at all. there are rabbis that allow going uncovered although this is the minorty view

    ReplyDelete
  6. B"H

    I've seen the article on Kikar Shabbat and I know divorced women not covering their hair. One of them had only been married for three months or so and she doesn't really consider her former marriage as a marriage but as a mistake.:-) But she is not haredi but national religious.

    I am aware of different opinions but sometimes it seems like people just look for an excuse not to cover their hair. Why don't they simple say: "I don't want !"
    This would make it much easier and more honest instead of running the show with a custom from Eastern Europe.

    ReplyDelete