Monday, November 5, 2012

How Jerusalem has changed


Copyright: SHODEDE'I YERUSHALAYIM GALLERY 
Jerusalem, Jaffa Road 93
B"H

Not too long ago, I spotted out the above poster and bought it. The poster shows Jerusalem in 1950, 2000 and 2012, and we see how the same spot right outside the Machane Yehudah Market has changed its face in the course of time. 

I was especially attracted by the picture taken in 2000 and the one from 2012. What a difference and who still remembers the old red and white Egged buses which have now been replaced buy new green buses. Let alone the tram starting its duty in August 2011.

Sometimes it seems as if the old Jerusalem is fading away and that everything is being replaced by modernity. There are moments when I do miss the old Jerusalem from 1996 - 2000. The narrow pavements in Jaffa Road near the Machane Yehudah. The old woman sitting behind the bus stop outside the Market selling her small Tehillim books. The old beggar woman wishing everyone "Sei gesund !"

Many times we keep on telling ourselves that everything in the past was better. I admit that I had a great time in Jerusalem in 1996, 1997 and after making Aliyah in 2000. The city has changed its face. Not all changes are bad, and neither is everything only good. However, we have to live with the changes and look into the future. 

But there are times when I still miss the old Jerusalem from 15 years ago, and I am asking myself whether the Tehillim lady is still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment