Sunday, November 11, 2012

Near the Kever of Rabbi Yitzchak Luria in Zfat



B"H 

The video shows the landscape surrounding the cemetery in Zfat as well as the grave of the ARI, the famous medieval Kabbalist, Rabbi Yitzchak Luria, from the side. What you also see are the special pathways for the Cohanim (Temple Priests) who are not allowed to enter a cemetery due to purity reasons. Nowadays, you can find special pathways allowing the Cohanim to enter cemeteries. As long as they don't step onto the ground. 

What always strikes me at the cemetery in Zfat are all the special pathways for Cohanim and women which are actually making other graves inaccessible.  Just look at the graves underneath the stage in front of the graves of Rabbi Yitzchak Luria, Rabbi Shlomo HaLevi Alkabetz and Rabbi Moshe Cordovero.

2 comments:

  1. I think its been repaired since 2000 when Iwas there. Did you take video or images in the kever area also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    The problem at the Kever of the ARI is always getting rid off some really annoying beggars and guys telling woman to go to the Ezrat Nashim. The same almost happened to me when I was down at the Kever. I got rid off one beggar by giving him a small donation. However, there were too many guys around praying and I only filmed the Ezrat Nashim which is located at the back of the Kever. However, I need to cut out a small scene and then I will be able to publish the video. The scene shows a few odd hippie women and I don't think it would be too appropriate showing it.:-) Some real freaks.

    In the meantime, I am going to publish more photos !

    ReplyDelete