Monday, June 15, 2009

"Shavua HaSefer" at Kikar Rabin

B"H

Until June 20, the Hebrew Book Week (Shavua HaSefer) is taking place in Israel. Today I went to the event in Tel Aviv (Kikar Rabin - Rabin Square). I was ready to buy some interesting books but do you know this feeling that when you are looking for a good book, you don't exactly find what you want. This happened to me today.
The fair was full of relationship novels, books for children, history (especially the Holocaust) and, of course, the Kabbalah Center was there and made some more propaganda for itself. The majority of the books was in Hebrew and I saw maybe 10 books in English.
People who only know English and live in Tel Aviv should rather go to some local book stores instead visiting the fair at Kikar Rabin.

I was looking for something chassidic and, in the end, found reports written by secular Israeli academics on the chassidic world; mostly on chassidic history. I only bought one book and I am very happy with it.

As I understand Yiddish but my Yiddish speech is a disaster, I bought a very helpful Yiddish - Hebrew dictionary. Otherwise I was rather disappointed from the fair due to the high prices. Only 30% discount on most of the books. The book stores in the neighbourhood are offering discounts up to 50%.

Hopefully my way to talk in Yiddish is improving soon but I am optimistic, as I know German. My only problem is the Hungarian Yiddish which is sometimes hard to follow. However, it does make a difference when you speak to the Chassidim in Yiddish and not "only" in Hebrew, as I used to do so far.

2 comments:

  1. UNfortunately, if one cannot speak either in "galitzianer" yiddish (or hungarian, for that matter) to many chassidish people, they look at you like an alien. Although many family members (parents, cousins, etc) speak it well, the limited yiddish i was able to pick up in yeshiva was of the 'litvak' variety, and any books or tapes that exist are in the so called "Standard" Yiddish, which utilizes litvish pronunciations. Its not the same, and sometimes, it almost seems like a completely different language. Any suggestions for where one can learn improvment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Lets put it this way:
    I am not as bad off as only English speakers.:-))
    I do know German and Hebrew which is better than only English.

    I realized quickly that the book I bought is litvish, as I am used a bit to the Hungarian pronounciation.

    There is a woman in Mea Shearim giving Yiddish classes but I always forget to inquire. I think that I only need a few hours. Some pronounciation classes and practice. Practice is the most important thing.

    Furthermore, in Toldot Aharon, for instance, you have people speaking German. The Pappenheim family and even the Rebbitzen.

    ReplyDelete