Monday, June 1, 2009

Positive and Negative

B"H

When you look around in the chassidic blog world, you mostly find bloggers writing about great Rebbes and Chassidim. Many of them write with such a devotion and enthusiasm that the reader may get the impression everything inside the chassidic (or haredi) world is perfect. Just like an untouched island where there are no worldy affairs but only peace and harmony.
Furthermore, those bloggers tell us readers about Kedusha (Holiness), great deeds, Mitzwot and a perfect lifestyle.

There are times (not too many but there are) when I feel like a traitor while reading these blogs. However, there are also other times when I feel more like a realist because I don't "only" write about the great and positive side of the chassidic (haredi) world but I am pretty much aware of society problems. As expected, some people don't like that because, according to their opinion, we should rather concentrate on the positive. There is enough negativity in the world and we don't need to add more. And don't we elevate everything when we prefer writing about positive matters ?

I am rather a realist because I don't succeed (and I don't even try) "flying" away as soon as I see a chassidic Rebbe. Last summer, I was standing three meters away from the Nadvorna Rebbe (Bnei Brak) and about two weeks ago, the Rebbe of Chassidut Ruzhin – Boyan overtook me and my friend while we were walking to his Tish. Suddenly he passed us outside in the street and we didn't faint because we may have been so overwhelmed.

Nevertheless, a few months ago, it got me very much by surprise when the Kretchnifer Rebbe (Jerusalem) passed us in a street in the Shmuel HaNavi area. I did have a feeling of Kedusha but it didn't make me faint. I am more of a pragmatist and also let the reader know about society problems and about the topics I don't agree with. There is no perfect society in this world and chassidic society is no exception. Of course, it is great when you can only concentrate on positive issues but, nevertheless, sometimes there may be a danger of getting too carried away.

4 comments:

  1. i wonder what you felt when you walked past me on the street:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Don't worry. I don't jump on everyone passing me in the street.:-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to Kiryas Yoel this shabbos. The Rabbi I stay with is very fond of saying "here in Monroe there is no crime. There are no drugs, there are no addictions, and most of all, there is no adultery. Especially no adultery!" I don't know about Kirays Yoel, but I know enough about chassidim in Williamsburg with various addictions including gambling, prostitution, sadomasochism, and drugs. I'm sure some of these things goe on in Kiryas Joel, as well. But Miriam, when I go there for a shabbos I feel recharged for a month. I feel a feeling of kedusha that I feel in only one other place, New Square. It is the greatest feeling in the world to be there for a shabbos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B"H

    I do believe you. After being to a chassidic Tish, I also gain new strength for the upcoming new week. It sometimes really gets me until Sunday but then, the daily life overwhelmes me again.:-)))

    Concerning "no adultery" in Kiryat Yoel:

    One can never be sure because PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE !

    ReplyDelete