Monday, July 27, 2009

Do we have to stink these Days ?

B"H

Last Wednesday, we celebrated Rosh Chodesh Av (the beginning of the month of Av) and Ashkenazim follow the custom not to do laundry, eat meat, listen to music or take a shower until Tisha Be'Av. However, we are allowed to have wine and meat on Shabbat and to wash ourselves before Shabbat.

In a way, Shabbat breaks some of the rules.

Sephardic Jews do start these restrictions only on Mozzaei Shabbat before Tisha Be'Av. I need to say that there were times when I was so jealous of the Sepharadim only starting after Shabbat ends (before Tisha Be'Av). I once had a flatmate and she strictly kept those rules like not showering until Tisha Be'Av.


In July, where Tisha Be'Av mostly falls, we have the wildest summer heat in Israel. About 30 degrees Celsius (at least 90F) and everyone is just sweating. In order not to bother other people, shouldn't we take showers under these circumstances ?
What if I am sitting on a bus and I haven't showered for the past three days and I simply stink ? The person next to me is closing his nose, holding his breath and moving further away. Is this the purpose and the price of mourning ?

I have to admit that I do shower every day, not on Tisha Be'Av but during the nine days before. Even If I was in a country where it was less hot, I would still take showers.
And here are my excuses: I don't want to smell and here is an even better reason; especially these days: The swine flu.
I need to cleanse myself in order not to get the swine flu. Although I am not in England.

Yesterday I was sitting next to a religious guy and he this the reason why I am writing this. He smelled and I knew immediately that is keeps the nine days of shower abstinence. Maybe next time I am putting a peg on my nose but, honestly, it is not too comfortable sitting next to such people.

Otherwise, in this heat, I do even smell after taking a shower.

5 comments:

  1. Some (not haredi) follow the custom that one can use a cloth and clean the sweaty areas, or shower in cold water. There are several guide books out. What I gather, is that it is not necessary to stink, as deodorant and talcum powder are allowed. Also, some people develop skin conditions if they do not keep clean. Of course, different ravs have their own rules, but, like you I choose not to offend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    After a while, even a deodorant looses its task. When you sweat and just keep on spraying, at a certain time there will be an end and it won't help anymore.

    Showering in cold water would be just fine. At least in the Israeli heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that i am such an "istenes", and take cold showers even during "shvieh she'chul buh"...btw several poskim hold that in America, everyone has that status.

    http://www.vosizneias.com/35492/2009/07/23/new-york-showering-during-the-nine-days/

    (see comment #3)

    ReplyDelete
  4. god forbid when somone is sitting shiva do ou think he would go and shower?
    why should the bies hamikdash be any less then a parent?
    if you feel the loss you act like a mounrner, if you dont, it explains why the bies hamikdash isnt being rebuilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. B"H

    The Beit HaMikdash is not less but there are situations when you still have to shower. Look at me: I am working in the food industry and we cannot walk around dirty (smelly) when we work at the bakery. Not because of the customers and not because of the food production.

    ReplyDelete