Sunday, July 5, 2009

Eyewitness Report from Mea Shearim


B"H

I should have rested on Mozzaei Shabbat (end of Shabbat) and not wasted my time with going to an unnecessary demonstration. Next Shabbat, I will probably be somewhere else in order to breath some freedom.

Helicopters were flying over downtown Jerusalem. This already started at about 7.00pm. The Edah HaCharedit had announced another demonstration for 5.30pm. A time when there was still Shabbat.

I walked with a friend towards Mea Shearim Street (coming down from the Machane Yehudah Market). The whole area was crowded with Haredim; women were walking with their children at Kikar Shabbat and down Mea Shearim Street. Everything seemed so peaceful. My friend started complaining that we were too late and apparently missed the whole "action".

It was about 8pm when we walked down Mea Shearim Street. After some thoughts and doubts, I had decided wearing a skirt and be modest. In the hope that non of the Haredim would throw a stone but with the fear that the police may think that I am one of those wild demonstrators. I wasn't in the mood of getting arrested and wasting my time explaining a judge why I should be innocent or guilty.

The closer we came to the Shivtei Israel / Mea Shearim Street junction, the less women we saw. Instead about male 100 Haredim were gathering at the junction. We were the only females walking through the haredi crowd. Women and children had squeezed themselves aside behind and in front of a fence of the Toldot Avraham Yitzchak building complex (across the Toldot Aharon and the gas station). It was obvious that all those women were either Avraham Yitzchak or Breslov.

When we passed the bus stop towards HaNevi'im Street, a young haredi guy stopped me and said that we cannot walk to HaNevi'vim, as there is police. They wouldn't let us pass.
"But do whatever you want". The guy said and disappeared.
Two minutes later he was backed and told me again that there is a demonstration and we cannot pass, as the police don't let anyone through. My friend and I decided to join the side of the Avraham Yitzchak women. We didn't see anything what was going on between the police at HaNevi'im (100 meters far away) and the demonstrators. From time to time we heard excited screams from the Haredim and they started running backwards into our direction. Probably thinking that the police were after them but nothing happened and the Haredim returned to make another fuss.

It was terrible to see 5, 6, 7 or 8 - year - old - boys participating in the demonstration and throwing stones at the police. All the older Haredim (e.g. Toldot Aharon) were gathering in the back, right in front of us, and didn't actively participate. They just stared and wanted to show their presence.
The whole scene seemed like a huge entertainment. There is neither TV nor cinema in Mea Shearim and although I do understand the point of demonstrating for the Holiness of Shabbat, the demonstration replaced a Hollywood drama. Everything live and for free. People were bored after Shabbat and were looking for excitement. Especially the kids and I am asking where their mothers were ? How can a five - year - old child run around in a demonstration, throw stones and no parent is around ? Where is your education and where are the manners of the children ?

As soon as Shabbat was over, cars started rolling through Shivtei Israel Street. This was not a good idea from the police because the Haredim had blocked the road and started yelling and storming at those cars screaming "Schabbes, Schabbes !" like madmen.
The first car was a taxi and we guessed that the driver must have his pants full out of fear. Personally I thought that the Haredim would push the car over.

A few more cars passed and some Haredim threw stones at them. No one got hurt but one driver pointed as black kipa. He was Haredi himself and suddenly found himself attacked !
The cops started moving towards us and I said to my friend that I am escaping around the corner. I didn't want to face water canons, sticks and whatever there was. She called me a "Weiner" and stayed where she was.

Around the corner I saw a Neturei Karta guy I had noticed before. He wasn't even twenty years old and busied himself with spying around here and there. Always remaining in the back.
After a few minutes, I went back to my friend and she told me that the cops had moved backwards to their original position. They had just yelled something into a microphone and this was it. No beatings, not violence from the side of the police but only stone throwing from some Haredim.

My friend had made a mistake and had put on too much smelly rose perfume which caused the attention of some Avraham Yitzchak,and, as we found out later, Chabad kids. A rather chubby twelve - yearl - old girl in a pink dress calling herself Shoshana asked me if I like the demonstration. I said NO and this caught the attention of the Avraham Yitzchak girls. How would I dare to say NO and who am I at all. A Goi or a spy from the police ?
Then they started complaining about my friends perfume. Only non - Jews (including Jewish Israelis living in Tel Aviv) would put on perfume. I told them to shut up, as this is non of their business.
In the meantime, chubby Shoshana had gathered all her friends around us and even introduced everyone by name. A Chabad girl showed up claiming that there are Chabadnikim living in Eilat and she would be one of them. Later on, it turned out that she was the only one with a little brain and common sense.

I didn't want to escape from all that. Why ?
There was no reason and we wanted to see what is going on. However, I ended up in a wild discuassion with teenagers between 12 - 17 years old. Explaining that not every person in Tel Aviv is a Goi and not everyone looks like Mea Shearim. Actually I told them that this is a Chillul HaShem and Lashon HaRah cursing other Jews.
Today I found out that the same took place with other bystanders who were national religious. Police and bystanders (not living in Mea Shearim) were called PIGS, GOIM, NAZIS or even MISCHLING (the Haredim were using this nazi expression).

I was just wondering where the parents (mothers) of those girls were ? I told them that their behaviour is obviously a kind of behaviour they learn in school and they should be ashamed of themselves. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and faced an Avraham Yitzchak girl I had spoken to months before. She tried to calm down the situation but was cut off from chubby Shoshana.
By the way, Shoshana told me very proudly that she was 100 % Sephardi and that there was not drop of Ashkenazi blood in her vains.

One Chabad girl apologized for her behaviour and some other girls kept quiet. However, chubby pink Shoshana continued together with an extreme brainless Sephardi Chabad girl (about 16 or 17 years old). To the Chabad girl I said that at least she should follow the path of the Lubavitcher Rebbe and Chabad is even to be found in Tel Aviv. I have never seen someone from Chabad so full of hatred towards other Jews !

Those were not "Banot Israel - such holy Jewish chassidic daughters" we faced but rather a bunch of stupid girls without any common sense, education and manners. It didn't feel like Mea Shearim but like being surrounded by a street gang in Harlem, the Bronx or Katamonim (Jerusalem). If those girls weren't in a religious frame, they would be in jail.

I am not upset because I know that there are other people in Mea Shearim and one shouldn't concentrate on negativity. However, this is what people see on TV and last night, Mea Shearim was anything but holy.

When I finally concentrated on the demonstration again, it was over. Some garbage was on fire but this was it. The Haredim have already lost the fight and I don't think that there will be much going on next Shabbat
.

3 comments:

  1. I also wondered at how young girls who supposedly were raised in a religious (gentile?) manner were so rude! I have seen charedi girls stare, and ask really blunt questions--simply because they were not used to seeing something different, but this is the first time that I witnessed such vulger, horrible behavior (she was loud, aggressive, in-your-face-finger-jabbing rude). Truly she skipped the class in snius! Pity the guy that gets stuck with that one.

    By the way, You forgot to include that it was not really perfume, but rose-scented oil that I had sprinkled (mostly on my hands) to get rid of the smell after cleaning cat-poop that was tracked into the house! In truth, I think I would rather have the cats tracking poop than one such as the kid in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chassidus has become so disgraceful these days. Such a far cry from the early days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B"H

    Unfortunately, you are right.
    I spoke to a Chassid (not from the Edah but from the Yahadut HaTorah) yesterday and he said that those people calling other Jews who are not like them (Means living in Mea Shearim) Goim, are total fanatics and only see themselves.

    Especially now, a few days before 17th Tammuz, and another few weeks before Tisha Be'Av, all Jews should be aware of the sins of the past and why the two Temples were destroyed. Unfortunately the Talmudic story about Kamtza and Bar Kamtza is still alive until today !

    ReplyDelete