Sunday, July 26, 2009

Women's Language

B"H

After all my criticism and further reports about haredi society, I am (finally) saying something POSITIVE. Not exactly "finally", as I do write about a lot about the positive sides of Orthodoxy, and especially haredi Judaism. Some people may not see it but I do feel that way.

But here something extremely positive concerning many many haredi women. Especially those from the girl's school "Beit Yaakov" but also from further haredi schools and upbringings. What I very much admire is the fine language of many Israeli Haredyiot (haredi women). I don't mean expressions like "Baruch HaShem" in every sentence; no, I mean a good choice of words and also the tone of the sentences. This is making a great impression on me and I think that one has to be born and grown up that way. The "fine" language doesn't sound artificial at all but those women mean what they say.

As soon as I am talking to such women, I do change my language immediately. I don't think that I am having a bad language but I wish I had their style. Maybe I admire them talking because I hate bad language and curses. I didn't grow up this way, and although I sometimes do use "bad" words, I still prefer being with people limiting their bad language or those not even using it.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Sometimes we don't realize our language is "off-color" until we are speaking with someone who watches their tongue. It is easy to slip. Maybe if we all "reminded" each other to keep on the path, we could all improve together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    It is not only Lashon HaRah but the whole behaviour around the way of speech.

    ReplyDelete