Friday, March 5, 2010

Shabbat Shalom




B"H

The weather got warmer again. The perfect time to go out to the Synagogues in Mea Shearim or other haredi (ultra - orthodox) neighbourhoods. I can just see a packed Machane Yehudah Market in Jerusalem due to all those Birthright (Taglit) groups. Nice seeing so many tourists but those American groups just fill the market without buying. They look around and disturb the Jerusalemites rushing for their Shabbat shopping. Can't anyone tell these Birthright guides to take their groups on another day to the market and not davka on a Friday before Shabbat starts. The same happens on the Tel Aviver Carmel Market, by the way.

Pessach is right ahead of us and next week I am going to publish a detailed article on a certain "Chesed - Kindness" organization located in Mea Shearim and run by Breslov and the Toldot Avraham Yitzchak. Many people including the secular press concentrate on the negative sides of haredi society. There is no doubt that also the haredi society has its problems. Nevertheless, we have to concentrate on the positive sides as well and it is not hard to find anything in that direction. On Wednesday I had a meeting with a few Chassidim being in charge of the Chesed organization and I was quite impressed seeing their soup kitchen (Beit Tamchu'i) where I was shown around.

Again I am making my way to Mea Shearim this Shabbat in order to go for a Shabbat prayer service. Many Chassidim may be missing due to the Yahrzeit of Rabbi Elimelech of Lizhensk this upcoming Sunday. They went to Poland over Shabbat and I would love to see how the Polish population is reacting to all these Chassidim walking along.

"Shabbat Shalom - Gut Schabbes" and hopefully I will have more time or the Parasha next week.

2 comments:

  1. The largest cheded organization in Meah Shearim is run by Linas Hachesed under the direction of Chaim Kohn. Ask anyone in Meah Sherim about him. For pesech the organization will feed hundreds fo meals and distribute food for over one hendred thousand dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    I am going to write about "Linat HaChesed" and I spoke to Chaim Cohen last Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete