Friday, August 6, 2010

Shabbat Shalom


Seen in Jerusalem

Photo: Miriam Woelke


B"H

This Shabbat in Tel Aviv won't be easy due to the hot and humid weather. You should sit right on an air - condition in order to "survive". A friend is coming over from Jerusalem and I will show her around. Synagogues, markets and sightseeing through the dark parts.

A few days ago I wrote about the foreign workers and crime in Tel Aviv. I have been back to this area yesterday and walked around in places I didn't know they exist. Gambling in the middle of Finn Street and African illegals selling stolen items such as bikes and cell phone parts.

Despite all kinds of crime going on, I discovered plenty of Synagogues even in this area. People say that many elderly Jews living in south Tel Aviv are afraid of leaving the house after getting dark. Jews going to the Synagogues on Shabbat were called "something" by African foreign workers. However, I made many new photos and will continue doing so.

Furthermore I was surprised to find a GRA (Vilna Gaon) Synagogue in Hayarkon Street near the beach. People say that Tel Aviv is so terribly secular but when you look around, you will be surprised by the amount of Orthodox Synagogues.

"Shabbat Shalom - Gut Schabbes" to all of you !

No comments:

Post a Comment