Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Zfat (Safed) and its famous Cemetery

B"H

Usually I am not a cemetery fan at all and, most of my life, I haven't been to too many "Kivrei Zaddikim". However, I like going to the cemetery in the northern Israeli town of Zfat where so many famous Kabbalists and Chassidim are buried.  
Here are some impressions from the fourth Israeli holy city:



Zfat: The old city with the mountains of Meron in the back.



Synagogue entrance



Landscape


The Zfat cemetery is full of ancient graves. Some of them are totally unrecognizable and only a few tombstone leftovers show that there once used to be a grave. Nevertheless, there always remains some kind of mystery for me because the cemetery was already used as such by the Canaanites. Who knows who else is buried there ...





Photos: Miriam Woelke

No comments:

Post a Comment