Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It all depends on the Mood

B"H

No, I haven't done too much chassidic stuff lately but preferred concentrating on the Jewish religion. Some Talmud, some society issues and, at the moment, I am busy researching the writings of the Arizal (Rabbi Yitzchak Luria, 1534 - 1572). As a matter of fact, the Arizal hasn't written too much by himself but rather a very tiny part. His closest student, Rabbi Chaim Vital (1542 - 1620) wrote down most of the Arizal's teachings; not to forget many further students as well as the controversial figure Rabbi Israel Sarug.

There are times when I totally get fed up with today's chassidic movements. Scandals, money issues, reputations - all this is a big subject in the present groups and I am a little tired of "Whom is with whom and why / why not". Moreover most Rebbes had left for their donation trips this summer and have only returned to Jerusalem / Bnei Brak now.

I am not into the quick "fast food" information business but prefer doing research and speak to many people. And this means time. Just look at the vast material; books, essays, holy writings, anything, and you know what I mean.

It mainly depends on my moods as well. Sometimes I am very chassidic and sometimes more into the Talmud. Jewish history is a big subject and now I am more with the Kabbalists and great Rabbis who lived 500 or even 1000 years ago. Not because I miss the "good old days of the rserious Zaddikim" but it is important to go to the source and find out the WHY instead of chasing after the Belzer, Satmarer, Vishnitzer or Toldot Avraham Yitzchak Rebbe in order to find out what he has for lunch.

Two subjects are keeping me busy at the moment (besides Yom Kippur preparations):

1. A biography of the Lubavitcher Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson. A professional written biography and not propaganda. A biography where the Rebbe's former life (his studies in Paris) are mentioned. Why he married Chaya Moushka and how he took over Chabad and left his competitor Gourary far behind.

2. The Kitvei HaARI on a special subject.

Whenever I am done, I am going to publish results on the blogs !

No comments:

Post a Comment